Wednesday, December 1, 2010

And the Countdown Begins!

Hey Hey everyone!!! I want to start out today by asking you to say a prayer for my friend Mrs. Pearl Washington. She was under the weather and taking care of some complications and could really use some uplifting prayers:-) I love you Mrs. Pearl and can't wait for you to get better!
Now, I am so excited because I can officially start counting down the days until I get to go home without sounding like a crazy person! As of today, in 20 days I will be touching down in Tennessee! :-) I am so excited to get to see my family and friends. I'm especially excited to see my niece Adalina and my nephew Lyam. They are growing up so fast on me! Every time I call home I get to talk to them on the phone. It's great knowing that they still recognize my voice when they hear it:-) I hear them laughing and trying to talk back to me. It's the sweetest thing ever! :-)
I received a few care packages these past few days from friends and family. Getting these kinds of things makes me realize just how much I really do miss home, but how grateful I am to have this opportunity! I have gotten sooo many goodies that I am in heaven right now! Small gestures like these really help me make it through, so thank you! :-)
Goodies from my older sister Tonya!
Goodies from the Catron Crew at Barfield Elementary along with the letters they wrote me:-)

Snack cabinets are packed!
Snacks for days!! :-)
Santa ears and XL pen! Thanks CB and JP!
I've also been skyping with my friends Carrie Beth and Jackie and their 4th grade class. I am their pen pal:-) Every Friday at 5 pm my time I skype with their class and they ask me questions about how I like Israel, what kinds of foods I eat, what life is like here etc. Each week, they're given a subject to write or talk to me about. It's so fun and I look forward to it each week! But last week, I had a blond moment (No offense to any blonds!) I logged onto skype at 5 and the Catron crew wasn't logged on...and i just couldn't figure out what was going on. I didn't know if they forgot about our skype date or what. So I texted Jackie and asked her if they forgot about me, only to be told it was Thanksgiving break!! AHHHHH! Haha it totally slipped my mind! I felt so slow for about an hour! Haha.
Just in case you all were wondering, my Thanksgiving dinner was a McRoyale cheeseburger meal from McDonald's. But no worries, it was good! Lol. Our night also involved getting our car towed when we went to a basketball game! Haha the sucky thing is that the car we parked behind was still there!!! They knew we weren't from here and got us! Luckily the car lot was in the same parking lot as the gym! So we had to pay 260 shekels to get our car back that was towed 20 feet, and on top of that we have a 250 shekel ticket we have to pay! Oh the joy!
The other night me and my roommates were in the kitchen and we saw a HUGE cockroach above our window sill. We start screaming and running around because we didn't know what to do. Not to mention it was after 1 in the morning when all this was taking place! Danielle climbs on a stool with a plastic container and a napkin trying to swiftly sweep it into the container only not being able to do so because the cockroach ran and she jumped down off the stool. Her and KD moved the fridge at least 6 times trying to kill the roach. But he DISAPPEARED! We don't know where the heck he went, but we know he definitely wasn't under the fridge! We think these roaches are playing games with us! That's the 2nd one we've seen that has disappeared!  So apparently our neighbors called the police on us because we were making so much noise. They came by and asked if everything was ok...lol...it was quite an adventurous night for us. So as I'm sitting here writing this post, guess who shows up!?!? THE ROACH! He was crawling on the ground towards me on the couch! I hopped up and quietly freaked out and told Danielle to kill it! LOL!! We won this time!
Today we were off, so I slept until 1 and then went to the beach with Danielle for an hour. It was so relaxing out there. We laid on the chairs and Danielle took a nap.

 Our team is now 5-2 after last night's game against Holon. Last week we played the other Rishon team at our place. It wasn't a pretty game at all, but we got the win and that's most important. Last night's game was definitely a tough one as well! It went down to the wire! We ended up winning 83-80. Last week I had 17 pts and 12 rebs and last night I had 18 pts and 11rebs. I feel like I'm starting to get back into a flow and just play. I am really enjoying my teammates and coaches. The sky is the limit for our team...and I think we are special because we have such a good bond that's beyond just basketball and not to mention we are starting to get pretty good chemistry on the court.
Tonight for dinner, I made cheeseburger helper (my sister sent it in my care package:-) ) with a flour tortilla! It was definitely a change that I needed:-) I took those helpers for granted when I was younger, but after today, I will never do it again! :-)
Yummy!!!

Today's Hebrew lesson is: Mom=Ema(ee-muh) and Dad=Abba(ah-buh)
That's all for today's walk in my Nikes!
Until next time, 
Alysha 

2 comments:

  1. I am just undone! That you thought enough of me to mention me in your blog is so precious to me! And thank God for laughter, because I know that I healed a lot just by laughing at the Cockroach Caper! LOLOLOL Alysha, I just adore you! May God continue to keep you. Please be safe and never lose your sense of self. It is astounding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to thank me Mrs. Pearl! :-) I'm glad I could give you some laughter!! I'm just so happy that you read my blog! So thank YOU! I'm SOOOO very happy that you are doing better :-)

    ReplyDelete