Saturday, October 9, 2010

Learning New Things

Hey hey everyone!! I just want to thank each and everyone of you who is following my blog!! I really appreciate it! I am so glad I get the opportunity to share this journey with you!
Being here in Israel has opened my eyes a lot! At times it has been frustrating because it's hard to read labels or communicate with people, but at the same time it's been a lot of fun trying to find new ways to get people to understand you. I can understand how frustrating it can be for people to come to the USA and not be able to communicate like they want to...and it's always easy to say "well they should speak our language" but that's what makes the world so great! Unique cultures and diverse ethnicities makes things interesting! I can definitely say this experience has opened my mind up a lot more! :-)

I must say this country is definitely beautiful and full of life!! Danielle and I went to the beach today and it was breathtaking!! The waves were so big and the water was gorgeous! We ate at this seafood restaurant called Fish and they brought out a loaf of bread with about 7 different dipping sauces. It was AMAZING!!! One thing Israel has is great bread! I am in seventh heaven! My roommates and I have already caught on the coffee drinking way of the Israeli people. My teammate Rebecca told us that Israelis drink coffee all day every day. And it has been soooo good! They also eat a lot of hummus with pita bread and Danielle and Khadijah seem like they have been living here all their lives because they eat it all the time! Haha.

The stoplights are different too! Instead of going from red to green, it goes to yellow first. And then when the green light is about to change, it blinks three times and then goes to yellow and then to red. It took a few days to get used to. Haha and there's no turning right on red lights either! Oh man...the urges I've had to just do it anyway! There also aren't dryers over here, so once we get the clothes out of the washing machine, we have to clip them on our clothes line that is outside our window! But the clothes actually dry pretty fast! But I must say I miss the dryer! Haha.

On Fridays, everything closes at sundown and remains closed until Saturday night. It's called the Jewish Sabbat and is their day of rest. So it's kind of like our Sunday in the states. So it's a little different changing the thought process of being used to the weekend and doing stuff on friday and saturday. But it's really neat to learn all this stuff. Also, two of our teammates are in the Israeli Army! They told us that over here in Israel, women between the ages of 18 and 22 are required to serve 2 years and the men are required to serve 3. So in addition to playing basketball they're also serving their country. I think it's pretty awesome.

I've been learning more Hebrew! Today's words are: Thank you: todah (emphasis on the dah) and good: tov

Well that's all for today's walk in my nikes!!

Until next time,
Alysha

No comments:

Post a Comment